Monday, September 26, 2011

Oh, the relief and fear that comes with a plan

Just before leaving for vacation, I had my first fertility testing/procedure, an HSG. I knew ahead of time that it would likely fall around when we were set to travel, but I wasn't willing to wait another month to begin testing and treatment. The HSG can be very simple or very painful. Mine ended being of the painful variety.

All in all, the procedure was only around 15 minutes long, but it was a very uncomfortable and emotional 15 minutes. First they insert a balloon catheter into your cervix. This causes pain, cramps and discomfort, but isn't unbearable. Then they slide you back onto the table with an x-Ray machine over top and a monitor to the side and begin pushing a dye into your uterus and fallopian tubes. I could really feel the pain and pressure initially as they cleared my tubes, but it dissipated quickly.

I was nearly in tears the entire time and cried near the end. Not only has my IF really sunk in, but the testing has begun and frankly every time I have been to the hospital in the last year it has always been bad news. When they cleared my tubes and gave me the thumbs up, it was the first positive news I have had in a long time.

Lastly, I have my first RE appointment this week on Friday. If this cycle is a bust, I will be moving on to monitoring and TI in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment