Thursday, April 12, 2012

The good work continues

Our community lost a soldier a couple of weeks ago in Afghanistan. As sad as it is, the part that really made me choke up was the fact that his wife is due to give birth any day now. The entire community has offered their help to the wife and baby, and I sincerely believe that he will not long for anything.
They’ve set up trusts in the baby’s name, drop off points for donations, and even had nationwide support through social media outlets. I asked my department if they would be willing to each donate 5 new articles of baby clothing ranging from 6m to 3T, or money. We’ve had a great outpouring of support and thus far have enough clothes for the baby to need nothing at all until he is 3 years old. We will also be buying Walmart and/or Target gift cards with the money we receive from inside and outside of the department.
I’ve been in contact with the family’s pastor, trying to better understand their needs but will be calling the wife today. I am concerned that I will get choked up on the phone when I speak with her. I am/was once a military wife, and I cannot even fathom the heartbreak of losing my husband in war; especially at such a young age.
If you’re a religious person, please keep this family in your prayers and continue to pray for their comfort during this difficult time.

No comments:

Post a Comment