Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Mondays are Rough


Yesterday started out rough. Early in the day, I called my OB’s office to see if they had received my records from my RE. I was furious when they said they did not. While I was talking with the nurse, I decided to ask her for my results from my 1Hr Glucose test I took May 25th. After being put through to a couple of different people’s voicemail, I finally got a call back that they had either “lost or mishandled” my blood specimen, and I would need to repeat the test.

::insert nearly hysterical breakdown here::

First, I was already upset with my RE’s office for their complete incompetence when it comes to transferring records; I mean 5 weeks, really!?  Then, I was upset that not only did they lose or mishandle  my blood, and  I would have to repeat the test, but worse than that, they didn’t even know it until I asked. Before I left the day of the 1Hr test, the phlebotomist specifically said, “You don’t need to call for the results, if you don’t receive a call, everything is good to go.”

I’ve always made an effort to be my own advocate in my healthcare, and always ask others to do the same for themselves, but now, I am afraid our healthcare system is even more messed up than I originally thought. It is funny though, all of this happened and I guarantee my insurance will still get the bill for the blood work – because that is how everything works. 

Maybe my hormones are out of whack – well never mind, I know they are – but goodness gracious people, I shouldn’t have to do my job and yours too.

No comments:

Post a Comment