Friday, August 10, 2012

Overwhelmed by Options: Baby Gear

After our fabulous anatomy scan, Mr.A and I began going to baby stores and looking into the millions of options for our little girl. Let me tell you, it is very overwhelming!!  A friend sent me a copy of the book Baby Bargains which has been a phenomenal resource for a first time mom (FTM) like me. We’ve picked nearly 95% of our gear through the recommendations in this book. The authors really break down the products by price, function and rate each item or brand accordingly. I love that the authors take no kick-backs from any of the vendors reviewed, and use real examples and reviews to come up with their opinions.
If you’re a FTM to be, I would highly recommend picking up this book; the latest version was updated in the spring of 2012. I’ve found that most things listed in the book are available currently, but make sure when you buy the book that you are purchasing the latest version. Also, with the e-book craze, it may be tempting to buy the e-book for your Nook or Kindle. I would personally advise against it. One, because (according to Amazon) their e-book version does not have the graphs and charts outlining the products, and two because I particularly enjoy being able to highlight and mark pages with notes on a hard copy.
Another amazing tool I was recently introduced to is Amazon’s universal registry function. This is incredible because you can use Amazon as your primary registry, and link items that are not sold through Amazon to your registry. It lists those “other” items similarly to the rest of the registry, but instead provides a link to where you can purchase the items. I am thrilled about this because I found the bedding and a few accessories that I like at Pottery Barn Kids, but felt silly creating an entire registry for five items. Hooray for Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment