Sunday, August 28, 2011

New Doctor

I went to a new OB/GYN by the recommendation of Mr.A's friend, John. His wife had suffered three losses and IF, but had had three healthy babies (twins and a singleton) at this practice. I went with high hopes and high expectations.

My first impression was a great one. They had separate entrances and waiting rooms for OB versus GYN; how nice!! Meaning, I wouldn't have to fight back tears seeing the plumply pregnant moms-to-be comparing their stats and bumps with one another.

I was taken back, and did the normal weight and height. I have actually gained weight for the first time since being pregnant. I have been losing weight every time I have been weighed since February and was actually down 15-20 lbs the last time I was weighed. Now, I am finally at a weight where I feel comfortable!

The doctor came in and began going through the normal questions. I gave her my files from Dr.K which clearly stated my unexplained IF diagnosis, bloodwork, hormone levels, that she suspected Endometriosis and PCOS, my loss, MTHFR etc. The doctor had the nerve to tell me to have sex every-other day leading up to CD14, and to just relax. Are you F*ing kidding me!? Have you ever dealt with IF before? I've been trying for over two years and you think that relaxing is going to be the miracle to getting me pregnant?! I let her know that I ovulate late, and it has been shown through my follicular scans that my folicles are ready to O on CD14, but that my LH does not surge until CD17-20, over maturing my egg(s).

All she kept saying was, "But you were able to get pregnant". Yes, true. The only cycle that my body cooperated and O'd at CD14 was the only cycle in 2 YEARS where I was able to conceive a child, and I lost that child. She then went on to say that MTFHR (yes she had the acronym wrong), would not put me in a higher risk category even though Dr.K said differently. She was also not concerned about my low progesterone levels the last time I was pregnant. Lastly, she said that I would have to have three losses before they would do any type of beta testing, progesterone levels/supplements, early ultrasounds (before 18-20 weeks). I will tell you one thing, I will not go through two more losses without monitoring and doing everything possible to keep those babies.

Then I redirected the conversation back to IF. I kindly let her know that I had been putting off the additional IF testing until we had moved and were settled and that I would prefer to have the testing through the OBGYN office so my insurance would cover the diagnostic aspect of it, and I would cover the IF treatments through the RE's office. She fought me tooth and nail on going in for HSG testing. She stated that since I was able to get pregnant (saying this for the 10th time), I don't need an HSG. I let her know that the REs office will not allow for the IUI until a clear HSG and positive semen analysis are completed. Then she said something that about made me explode and go off the deep end; "IUIs are only  for patients with cervical mucus issues. And why would we order an S/A for your husband?". Wait, what?! First of all, you haven't even examined me. How do you know that I don't have issues with CM? And why wouldn't you order and S/A for my husband? Oh wait, I know; because I was able to get pregnant once, in two years of trying.

I left the appointment so disheartened. I feel like I know more about IF than a freaking doctor. Ugh.  Needless to say, I have another appointment this coming Friday with another OB/GYN that works very closely with my REs office; I pray it will go more smoothly.

1 comment: