Friday, June 17, 2011

Poison Oak is no joke...

Sunday started off with a trip to Urgent Care to diagnose my seemingly worse cold. The doctor diagnosed me with pneumonia and wrote me a prescription for antibiotics and an inhaler (have had issues with asthma in the past).

Monday I left for this week's trip and noticed I was starting to scratch my neck a lot. By Monday evening, I was convinced that I was having a reaction to the medicine, called the Urgent Care and they sent in another prescription. I also purchased some hydro cortisone cream to help with the itchiness while at the pharmacy.

Tuesday morning it was worse. I had blotchy red patches, that itched and burned and were spreading around my neck and up my face. Tuesday, I wasn't convinced that it was hives, rather some type of poison ivy/oak. I decided to buy some clear Benadryl gel and some Benadryl to hopefully help.

Wednesday I woke up worse yet. A coworker of mine recommended a product called Zanfel that is a gritty face wash that drys out the poison and relieves the itch. It was $31 for the CVS generic version, but it was so worth it. The grit feels so good since you can finally scratch all over and it relieves the itch for 5-6 hours.

Yesterday and today have been manageable since the Zanfel is keeping it from itching, but it has looked progressively worse each day and is continuing to spread. I now have it on my neck, chin, cheek, eyebrow (!?), forehead, ear lobe(!?), lips, bicep, chest, and abdomen. Great.

I flew home today and was able to get into my doctor's office 5 minutes before they closed. They gave me a steroid injection to help with the poison and said it should start to dissipate within 24 hours; I just want to be normal again.

If I had the guts to post the photos I have taken each day, you could really see the progression from uncomfortable to hideous leprosy, I just don't know if the interwebz can handle this grossness (although google images of "poison oak" does spit out some pretty nasty results).

No comments:

Post a Comment