Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day Weekend

I have been dreading Mother's Day for the last month. The constant facebook status updates highlighting how unselfish women are who are mothers, the "Happy Mother's Day" for all of the beautiful plumply pregnant mothers-to-be, the reminder that I should be 23 weeks pregnant today; none of it was going to be easy.

In addition, I planned for my mother, aunt, cousin and her two little girls to come for the weekend. Originally, the intent was to spend girl time together and to pack up some of the odds and ends around my house as I prepare for my open house and eventual move.

My family is notorious for being late to everything. In fact, so much so that I  made my parent's wedding invitation to say that everything started an hour before the actual ceremony to make sure they were on time. Today, they had planned to be at my house around 10 Saturday morning; they didn't show up until after 3:30. We spent the evening catching up, playing games, drinking wine and enjoying each other's company.

I was saddened by the fact that we didn't accomplish even one box of packing, but enjoyed the weekend nonetheless. However, it was difficult catering to my guests, cleaning up after them, following the girls around the house to turn off the lights and doing all of the cooking.

I didn't sleep hardly at all last night; which made for a grumpy me today on the dreaded Mother's Day. This morning, I got up early (again, I wasn't sleeping anyways), cooked breakfast for everyone, and gave mom her card and gift.

All weekend, I had hoped that someone, anyone, would acknowledge that it was Mother's Day for me today too. I might not have my baby safely inside my womb, I might not have my child in my arms, but I do have him in my heart. One person wished me a Happy Mother's Day today, and it made me cry. I was so touched that you recognized me as a mother, even when those closest to me had not. Thank You, from the bottom of my heart.

1 comment:

  1. HUGS woman - I hope you are having a better week!
    BTW, check out my last post on my blog cause I paid forward an award for you :)

    ReplyDelete