Monday, January 10, 2011

“I’d rather have a pretty, fat girl”

Mr.A and I traveled to visit my family this weekend to celebrate “Christmas” since we were away for the real thing. To announce our news, we bought my dad a sweatshirt and had it embroidered with a 2inch ‘G’ and arched around it said, “World’s Greatest Grandpa” on the left chest.  
We got there late on Thursday and spent the day Friday with my parents. My brother couldn’t be home until around 6 on Friday, so we had to wait nearly a whole day to spill the beans. Finally once he got there, I couldn’t hold in my secret any longer. I got everyone to gather in the living room and gave my dad a nice red box with a satin bow to open. He took the shirt out of the box and just read the embroidery to himself at least a couple of times before I said, “Read it out loud”. My mom stood up with tears running down her face. She asked, “Really?!, Really!?” then, “Have you been lying to me about the infertility testing?” I explained to her that it had just somehow happened. We had intended to start Clomid in the next couple of months; but were very fortunate that we didn’t need to go for the S/A or begin taking Clomid.
Then was the true test; how was my brother going to feel about me being due so close to his wedding. Well first, he was thrilled about becoming an uncle. His fiancé was on the phone within minutes she too was thrilled. I told him that the thought of trying to fit into a dress while 40 weeks pregnant, or having just had a baby terrified me and that I hoped they wouldn’t be upset if I was not in the wedding party.  His FI suggested another friend to take my place and my brother blurted out, “I’d rather have a pretty, fat girl than her.” So, as it is today, he is still trying to convince me that I should stay in the wedding party. I guess only time will truly tell.
I am 5 weeks today, taking it day by day, week by week.

1 comment: