Monday, January 3, 2011

One Year Ago

Exactly one year ago, I got to spend quality time with my Grandmother for the last time. Mr.A and I went to her new apartment at an assisted living facility to pick her up. She was glowing. My cousins had bought her a brand new red shirt for Christmas and she looked fantastic. We went out to dinner and then stopped to get her some basics from the grocery. I will never forget the last time I got to hug her and tell her that I loved her before parting ways that night.
In November my family unanimously decided to move her to assisted living. It was so difficult on her, she was losing everything she had ever known all because of a mini-stroke that had caused her to wreck (and misplace) her car. She had been pushing Mr.A and I to begin our family for months at this point and we had just began trying. I confided in her that we were trying to bring her just a little joy to help overcome the sadness of the move.
On January 4th, she had a debilitating stroke that paralyzed the right side of her body. In the days to follow, I remained by her side in the hospital and hospice just telling her how much she has always meant to me and that it was alright for her to let go.
 On January 6th, the most miraculous thing happened. She awoke from her sedated state at Hospice. Although the second stroke had paralyzed her left side as well, she opened her eyes, sat up in bed, moved both arms, tried to remove her oxygen and tried to speak. It was the first time in two days that I could see her through her eyes. I stayed with her until her body finally let go on Thursday, January 7th 2010.
It is only appropriate to me that we first found out we were pregnant on January 1st, exactly one year after I had seen my Grandmother and best friend for the last time since this is something she wanted as badly as we did. I love you Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment